As we head into Oscar-night weekend, don’t forget to catch any of these streaming nominees you might have missed.
Don’t forget, the Academy Awards are only a week away, so be sure to check out our updated list of nominees available for streaming – some just recently added!
Boy, your movie doesn’t get any Oscar nominations and the next thing you know, they’re dumping your cupcakes at the bakery outlet like you’re day-old bread.
Anyway, heads up: Netflix has announced it will be adding the Hungarian Best Foreign Film nominee On Body and Soul to its streaming lineup on February 2nd. When that happens, I’ll be adding it to our list of 2018 Academy Award nominees streaming online.
The Oscar nominations were announced today, and while other sites may ramble on about the surprises, you might be surprised by how many are already available to stream online. In part that’s because streaming services like Netflix (and, if to a much lesser extent, Amazon Prime) were so successful landing nominations for their original productions. Some titles are at this time only available as sales or rentals on VUDU, but I’ve included them for the sake of any Oscar completists out there.
- Abacus: Small Enough to Jail – Best Documentary Feature; on Amazon Prime
- Baby Driver – Best Film Editing (Jonathan Amos & Paul Machliss), Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing; available to rent or buy on VUDU
- Beauty and the Beast – Best Costume Design (Jacqueline Durran), Best Production Design (Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer); on Netflix
- The Big Sick – Best Original Screenplay (Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani); an Amazon Original Movie, on Amazon Prime
- Blade Runner 2049 – Best Cinematography (Roger Deakins), Best Production Design (Dennis Gassner & Alessandra Querzola), Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, Best Visual Effects (John Nelson, Paul Lambewrt, Richard R. Hoover, Gerd Nefzer); available to rent or buy on VUDU
- The Boss Baby – Best Animated Feature; on Netflix
- The Breadwinner – Best Animated Feature; on Netflix
- Call Me By Your Name – Best Picture; Best Actor (Timothée Chalamet); Best Adapted Screenplay (James Ivory); Original Song (“Mystery of Love” by Sufjan Stevens); available to buy only, on VUDU
- Dear Basketball – Best Animated Short (Glen Keane & Kobe Bryant); on Go90
- Dunkirk – Best Picture, Best Director (Christopher Nolan), Best Film Editing (Lee Smith), Best Prodicution Design (Nathan Crowley & Guy Fettis); Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, Best Original Score (Hans Zimmer); available to rent or buy on VUDU
- Get Out – Best Picture, Best Director (Jordan Peele), Best Actor (Daniel Kaluuya), Best Original Screenplay (Jordan Peele); available to buy (only) on VUDU
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 – Best Visual Effects; on Netflix
- Heroin(e) – Best Documentary Short; a Netflix original
- Icarus – Best Documentary Feature; a Netflix original
- Kong: Skull Island – Best Visual Effects; available to buy (only) on VUDU
- Last Men in Aleppo – Best Documentary Feature; a Netflix original
- Logan – Best Original Screenplay (Scott Frsank, James Mangold & Michael Green; story by James Mangold); available to buy (only) on VUDU
- Loving Vincent – Best Animated Feature; available to rent or buy on VUDU
- Marshall – Best Original Song (“Stand Up for Something” by Diane Warren & Lonnie R. Lynn aka Common); available to rent or buy on VUDU
- Mudbound – Best Supporting Actress (Mary J. Blige), Best Adapted Screenplay (Dee Rees & Virgil Williams), Best Original Song (“Mighty River” by Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq and Taura Stinson), Best Cinematography (Rachel Morrison) – Morrison is the first woman cinematographer to be nominated, for this Netflix original
- On Body and Soul – Best Foreign Film; on Netflix
- The Shape of Water – Best Picture; Best Actress (Sally Hawkins); Best Supporting Actor (Richard Jenkins); Best Supporting Actress (Octavia Spencer); Best Director (Guillermo Del Toro); Best Original Screenplay (Guillermo Del Toro, Vanessa Taylor); Best Cinematography (Dan Laustsen); Best Film Editing (Sidney Wolinsky); Best Sound Editing (Nathan Robitaille, Nelson Ferreira); Best Sound Mixing (Glen Gauthier, Christian Cooke, Brad Zoern); Best Production Design (Paul D. Austerberry, Jeffrey A. Melvin, Shane Vieau); Best Original Score (Alexandre Desplat); Best Costume Design (Luis Sequeira); available to buy only, on VUDU
- The Square – Best Foreign Film; on Hulu
- Strong Island – Best Documentary Feature; a Netflix original
- Victoria & Abdul – Best Makeup & Hairstyling (Daniel Phillips & Lou Sheppard), Best Costume Design (Consolata Boyle); available to rent or buy on VUDU
- War for the Planet of the Apes – Best Visual Effects; available to rent or buy on VUDU
Just added to Amazon Prime and to your Oscar binging watchlist: Viggo Mortensen’s nominated star turn in Captain Fantastic
Also new today:
If you still need to catch up with this weekend’s Oscar contenders, at least some of them are available online. Here’s which and where to see them:
If you need to catch up with today’s Oscar nominees, at least some of them are available online. Here’s which and where to see them:
Streaming free until March 7, Criterion Picks: Foreign Language Oscar Winners features Akira Kurosawa’s Rashomon, Gabriel Axel’s Babette’s Feast, Marcel Camus’s Black Orpheus, Paolo Sorrentino’s The Great Beauty, Jiri Menzel’s Closely Watched Trains, Ingmar Bergman’s Through A Glass Darkly and Costa-Gavras’s Z.
Sure, most of the big Hollywood blockbusters up for awards next Sunday aren’t available online yet, but you can still prepare for the big weekend by catching up to these Oscar-nominated documentaries and short films, all currently streaming on Netflix: